Cinnamon bread with warm spices and a sweet topping makes for a tasty breakfast or snack. Using a quick bread base, each loaf yields tender slices of cinnamon swirl bites.
Looking for more baked breakfast recipes? Then try this Blueberry Breakfast Cake, Banana Bread Crumb Cake, or Apple Crumble Muffins.
Baking up a batch of homemade cinnamon bread fills your home with the scent of warm spices and brown sugar. It’s an easy bread to make using leavening agents like baking powder and eggs to give a beautiful domed top. It’s layered with vanilla cake, then cinnamon and sugar topping, finally swirled together to infuse the sweet spice throughout each slice. Perfect with a cup of coffee or tea at any time of the day!
How do you make cinnamon bread?
- Set rack to center position and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan with spray or oil.
- Combine cinnamon and brown sugar to make the topping.
- In a large bowl whisk flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a medium bowl whisk sugars, eggs, melted butter, vegetable oil, milk, sour cream, and vanilla.
- Fold egg mixture into the flour mixture. Then transfer half to the pan.
- Sprinkle with half of the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- Add the rest of the batter on top, then sprinkle the remainder of the cinnamon sugar topping.
- Use a knife to swirl the batter to make cinnamon swirls.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. About 45 to 55 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes, then slice when easy to handle.
How to make the cinnamon bread moist and tender
The base of the bread is a vanilla quick bread that has a very similar texture to muffins because of the tenderizing agents. Eggs, oil, and sour cream add just the right ratio of fat to keep each slice super tender.
The brown sugar not only adds some molasses-like flavor but is also a humectant that attracts moisture, keeping the bread moist over time. I often use a combination of these ingredients for other quick bread like my favorite banana bread recipe to ensure that each slice is delicious from start to finish.
Adding in bold cinnamon flavor
What’s makes this bread irresistible is the beautiful cinnamon swirls that run through the center, plus the light crunch on the surface from the brown sugar sprinkled on top. Simply use a knife to gently lift and swirl the batter to create the pattern. Do not over mix the bread otherwise, the pattern will be hard to see once sliced.
Storing and Reheating
The cinnamon bread can be stored in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag at room temperature for up to 3 days. The bread can also be individually sliced and coated with plastic wrap, placed in a bag and frozen for up to 1 month. To reheat, microwave on high power in 30-second intervals until the bread is warmed through, about 60 to 90 seconds.
Looking for some tasty baked treats? Try these!