Baked to a buttery golden brown, these blueberry-filled scones are a soft, flaky treat bursting with tart and juicy flavor. Drizzled with a perfectly sweet, homemade icing, this mouthwatering pastry is going to be your new favorite way to start your day!
There isn’t anything better than a warm, flaky pastry. For breakfast, with coffee, or just to satisfy a sweet craving danishes, muffins, and rolls are other pastry recipes sure to deliver!
Homemade Blueberry Scones Recipe
Pastries are so hard to resist. I find myself wanting them all throughout the day! There are not a lot of things better than a warm, perfectly golden pastry filled with pockets of fresh fruit. I decided to make these tasty homemade blueberry scones showcasing one of my favorite summer fruits. Plump, sweet blueberries encased in a crumbly, buttery shell is truly a match made in heaven.
This is a recipe that anyone can make. A few simple baking techniques and fresh ingredients are all you need. In less than an hour, you will have the most delicious, warm, flaky result that just pulls apart perfectly in your hands- revealing a moist, buttery center filled with fresh blueberries. It is time to turn your kitchen into a bakery and make these delicious blueberry scones! They are so tasty, they will be gone in an instant!
Blueberry Scones Ingredients
These pantry-ready ingredients come together to create the most flaky, fruity and delicious blueberry scones! All individual measurements can be found in the recipe card below.
- All Purpose Flour: Because of its low protein content, All Purpose Flour works great to make so many different kinds of light, fluffy treats. You can also use pastry flour.
- Granulated Sugar: Adds sweetness to your dough and melds ingredients together when baked.
- Baking Powder: Helps your scones to rise during baking.
- Salt: To enhance flavor and help raise the dough with the baking powder.
- Lemon Zest: Adds a hint of tangy flavor to your dough.
- Butter: Unsalted, chilled. If you live in a very hot and humid climate, freeze your butter before preparing your scones.
- Heavy Cream: Chilled. Adds fat content and moisture to your scones. Also used in making your icing.
- Egg: When baking it is best to leave out your eggs ahead of time to have them at room temperature.
- Vanilla Extract: I like using pure vanilla extract for the best flavor.
- Blueberries: Frozen, not thawed. Adding thawed blueberries can make your scones too mushy.
- Sugar Crystals: This is a great topping to add over the blueberry scones for texture and extra sweetness.
- Powdered Sugar: Adds sweetness and a smooth texture to your icing.
How to Make the Best Blueberry Scones
You are going to love the way these delicious blueberry scones turn out. They are so rich and scrumptious and will make your kitchen smell absolutely divine in the baking process! It only takes a few easy steps to get them in the oven. From there, it’s hands-off and you are free add more brunch dishes like egg muffins for a complete meal!
- Preheat Oven and Prep Baking Sheet: Preheat oven to 400° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Whisk Dry Ingredients: In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon zest together.
- Prepare Shredded Butter: Use a small grater to grate the cold butter into the dry ingredients. Use your hands to lightly mix the butter into the flour. Add the frozen blueberries and toss gently.
- Mix Wet and Dry Ingredients: In a medium bowl, combine the cream, egg and vanilla extract. Pour over the butter and dry ingredients and stir to combine.
How to Shape Your Blueberry Scones
Shaping the blueberry scones into a triangle shape help it bake up and evenly in the oven. Forming a circling and cutting into triangles is simple and will help with the baking process.
- Shape Into Scones: Trying to work the dough as little as possible, turn out onto a lightly floured surface and work into a ball. Flatten into an 8-9 inch disc and sprinkle with turbinado or crystal sugar. Use a sharp knife to cut into 6-8 equal pieces.
- Bake: Arrange the pieces on the prepared baking sheet, leaving about 2 inches between each one. Bake for 25-28 minutes, or until nice and golden brown. Allow to cool for at least 5-10 minutes before drizzling the icing over the top.
- Mix Icing Ingredients: In a small bowl whisk together the powdered sugar, heavy cream, and vanilla extract. If it seems too thick, add 1 more tablespoon of heavy cream.
Scone-Making Tips and Tricks
Use these great tips and tricks to level up your scone-making game and ensure that you end up with the most fluffy, crumbly result possible! These blueberry scones will be a breakfast hit!
- Coating Butter in Flour: Shredding butter and then coating it in flour is what will make sure that you have a scone that is moist, tender, and crumbly at the same time.
- Use Cold Butter: Either refrigerate or freeze your butter before use. The lower temperatures will give your scones a better rise.
- Do Not Overmix: Mix your dough until it is slightly sticky and malleable. It you overmix your dough, your scones will be too tough.
- Do Not Handle Dough Too Much: The warmth from our hands can cause your butter to melt and keep your scones from having enough rise. When preparing, try to handle your scones as little as possible.
- Pastry Flour: Use pastry flour for the most light, fluffy scones.
- When Scones Are Done: You will know your scones are done when they are golden brown on the top and can be pulled off of the pan easily without sticking.
- Adding Too Much Butter: If you add too much butter to your dough, your scones will end up more dense like cookies.
Blueberry scones are perfect for breakfast time. The buttery-sweetness of these pastries pairs so well alongside so many types of dishes. You can serve them up alongside other pastries for more rich, crumbly variety that everyone will love. You can also make a complete brunch by serving Blueberry Scones with muffins, eggs, biscuits, and all the bacon. Then, all you need are friends and mimosas to bring that ‘trendy brunch place’ vibe right to your kitchen!
Storing Leftover Blueberry Scones
- At Room Temperature: Store your scones in an airtight container. They will keep for 3 days. Simply pop them in the oven at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 minutes for a quick, warm and tasty treat!
- In the Refrigerator: Prepare your scone dough in advance, wrap in plastic wrap, and keep in the refrigerator overnight. This way, you have dough ready to bake in the morning!