Homemade Cheese Sauce is versatile, kid friendly and tastes great on everything from broccoli to bread. This may be the best cheese sauce ever!
If you are looking for a great cheesy appetizer, try Mozzarella Sticks. Or, make Pretzel bites to dip into this amazing homemade cheese sauce.
Homemade Cheese Sauce
Homemade cheese sauce has a perfectly creamy texture and mild seasonings your family will love! The flavors are gentle enough that kids will go crazy over it, but it can also very easily be spiced up for a more vibrant sauce that can liven up nachos like my beefy enchilada nachos. It is soo good you will be pouring this cheese on everything!
This made from scratch sauce is so much better than the processed version from the grocery store. This is the most amazing sauce and it is ready in minutes! Since it is so quick and easy to whip up, it is great for an afternoon snack for hungry kids to enjoy with chips or pretzel bites or to smother veggies like broccoli or cauliflower. This is a must have recipe that is uncomplicated and easy to make, but will be a huge hit!
Easy Ingredients for Creamy Cheese Sauce:
With just 4 simple and familiar ingredients, you can make a cheese sauce that is so tasty you will want to drizzle it on everything! Basic ingredients you most likely already have in your pantry and fridge will combine easily and make a creamy sauce everyone will enjoy.
- Butter: Gives the sauce rich flavor.
- Flour: Thickens the sauce.
- Milk: Thins the sauce out a bit and adds sweet flavor.
- Sharp cheddar cheese: Freshly grated cheese will melt better and give a stronger flavor than the coated shredded cheese you can buy in a bag at the store.
How Do You Make Cheese Sauce From Scratch?
This homemade cheese sauce is ready to enjoy in almost no time because the recipe is so simple. It uses well known ingredients that are easy to work with and prepare. You will be so glad you have this recipe in your collection!
- Melt butter: In a medium size sauce pan over medium high heat, then add the butter and melt.
- Whisk: Now add in the flour to the butter, then slowly whisk in the milk. Next, add in the cheese. Continue to mix until the cheese is melted.
Epatcart Pro Tip:
Your cheese will start to get clumpy or stringy if it gets too hot. To avoid this, add the cheese end at the very end, then promptly remove it from the heat.
This may be one of the most versatile family favorite recipes that you will ever make! It literally goes with anything. Here are some amazing ideas on how to use this savory cheese sauce with your next meal.
- What to serve with Cheese sauce: Pretzel bites, Cauliflower fritters, Sheet Pan Nachos, rice, baked potatoes, steamed broccoli, or even roast beef sandwiches.
- What cheese works best: Use a mix of cheeses and change them up depending on how you plan to use this savory cheese sauce. For example, swiss and Gruyère are great cheeses that will melt easily and create a perfectly smooth and creamy dip for bread. Whereas, montery Jack would work very well with a Mexican dish like nachos or enchiladas. Or use half cheddar and half parmesan for a homemade macaroni and cheese.
- How to make a spicy cheese sauce: If you prefer a spicier cheese, try adding hot sauce, chili peppers, or cayenne pepper. Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies would also make great additions if you are making Queso Burgers.
Storing Cheese Sauce:
If you want to make this yummy cheese sauce ahead, or you are in the rare position of having leftovers, this cheese sauce stores well and is easy to heat and use again. You will need to keep your cheese sauce in a sealed container. It will keep it in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. To reheat it, microwave it for 30 seconds then stir and repeat until it is heated throughout.