These lemon pancakes are the best pancakes that you will EVER eat! They are soft, delicious, and have the right amount of lemon flavor that will go perfect with just about any topping that you put on them!
Pancakes are some a weakness of mine. I love eating them at any time of the day (they aren’t just made for breakfast!). Try out some more favorites of mine like these German pancakes, these cinnamon roll pancakes or these classic fluffy pancakes!
What Do Lemon Pancakes Taste Like?
Lemon pancakes are pure heaven. If you have never had these before, then you are in for a treat! They are perfect for everyone, even if you aren’t a lemon lover! They have the perfect amount of lemon in them, but it’s not too overpowering! These lemon pancakes have sugar to help sweeten and balance out the lemon juice and zest. The baking powder gives it a great fluffy texture, and the oil helps keep it moist. These are TO DIE FOR!
Once you try lemon pancakes, you will never go back to regular pancakes. Ok, maybe you will still want both. Like I said before, I can’t get enough pancakes! These are perfect with syrup, powdered sugar, or berries. In fact, these are so good that you could even eat them plain! They will fly off the table so fast that you should just start out by doubling the batter! I know that you will love them. Trust me when I say that you MUST try these for your next breakfast or brunch.
What Ingredients Do I Need to Make Lemon Pancakes?
Lucky for you, these pancakes are delicious AND easy to make! Stock up on some lemons and get cooking because once you try these, you will want to have lemons on hand all the time! See the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- Flour: I used all purpose flour for this recipe.
- Granulated Sugar: This adds in a sweet element to balance out the lemon flavor.
- Baking Powder: Helps the pancakes achieve that light and fluffy texture.
- Salt: The salt will enhance all of the flavors in the recipe!
- Milk: The milk helps dissolve the ingredients and creat a liquid mixture.
- Oil: You can use canola or vegetable oil for this recipe! It makes this pancakes moist!
- Egg: The egg helps provide a structure to hold the bubbles and help the pancakes rise.
- Vanilla Extract: Vanilla adds a great taste to these pancakes. You could even use lemon extract if you want lots of lemony flavor!
- Lemon Zest and Juice: This is where the flavor gets good! Add in the lemon juice and zest to really knock that flavor out of the park!
How to Make Lemon Pancakes
These pancakes are simple and easy! They take less than 20 minutes from start to finish, and they are easy enough that your kids can even help you make them!
- Whisk: In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Stir: In another mixing bowl, whisk together milk, lemon juice, egg, oil, and vanilla until incorporated. Stir in the lemon zest.
- Add Wet Ingredients to Dry Ingredients: Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Whisk just until combined. (batter will be slightly lumpy)
- Prep Skillet: Preheat a non-stick skillet or griddle on medium high heat. Spray with non-stick cooking spray or coat with butter.
- Cook: Pour ¼ cup batter onto the buttered griddle or skillet and cook until bubbles begin to appear on the surface. Carefully flip and cook the opposite side until golden brown. Adjust and lower the heat if pancakes begin to burn.
- Top and Serve: Serve warm dusted with powdered sugar, fresh whipped cream, and fresh blueberries!
Ideas for Toppings
The great thing about pancakes is that you can put just about anything with them and it just makes them taste even better! Here are a few ideas that you can try on these lemon ricotta pancakes!
- Nuts: Walnuts or pecans are a delicious sweet and salty treat on pancakes.
- Fruit: Fresh fruit is bright and colorful, plus it adds in a sweet and juicy taste.
- Syrups: Maple syrup is most common but try some caramel syrup or blueberry syrup for more of a variety is delicious too!
- Jams: Spread a fruity jam like peach or blackberry over top each pancake for a thicker topping.
- Spreads: Peanut butter, Nutella or any nut butter will melt over top the pancakes giving you a sweet and salty taste.
- Chocolate: Sprinkle chocolate chips or add them into the batter while mixing.
- Whipping Cream: Top with a dollop of whipping cream and add some sprinkles for a fun breakfast celebration.
How to Store Leftover Pancakes
These leftover pancakes can be saved for tomorrow or even frozen and reheated later! They are just as delicious the next time you eat them. Make an easy breakfast option for yourself and double a batch to save and store for later!
- In the Refrigerator: Once your pancakes have cooled then place them in an airtight container. Put it in the fridge and your pancakes can last up to 4 days!
- In the Freezer: Let your pancakes cool and then place them in a ziplock bag and put it in your freezer. Label the bag with the date! Your pancakes will stay good for 1 month!
- To Reheat: You can reheat these in the toaster, a frying pan or the microwave! Top with your fruit and syrup and enjoy!