Carrot soup is the perfect combination of fresh and hearty. It’s creamy, delicious, and flavored to perfection and your guests will be running back for seconds!
Soups are such a go-to meal for our family, especially this time of year! Try out this award-winning cheeseburger soup, this classic chicken noodle soup, or this creamy broccoli cheese soup.
Easy Carrot Soup
Soup is one of our favorite meals, especially at this time of year. It’s a go-to for our family because there are SO many delicious soups out there, so it leaves open a wide variety of dinner options! This carrot soup is perfect as we are (hopefully!) starting to transition into spring. Because it’s still warm and hearty, it works on any cold day, but the carrots make it taste fresh and delicious.
Not only is this soup delicious, but it’s easy to make!! You can cook it up as your main course and serve it with delicious breadsticks and salad. Or, you can use this as an appetizer course for any delicious meal. This recipe uses baked carrots so that by the time you put them into the soup, they are soft and ready to blend with the other ingredients. Try it out. You will love it!
What’s in Carrot Soup?
These ingredients are so simple, and once you grab your carrots at the store, you will probably already have everything else at home! See the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- Carrots: Peel your carrots and slice them into ½ inch pieces.
- Olive Oil: This is used to toss your carrots in before you put them in the oven.
- Salt and Pepper: You will add this to enhance all of the flavors in the soup.
- Butter: The butter is melted and used to cook the onions in.
- Yellow Onion: Mince up your onion into small pieces.
- Garlic: You can use fresh garlic cloves or you can use minced garlic from your fridge.
- Seasonings: Coriander and Cumin will give this soup a delicious flavor:
- Vegetable Broth: This is used as the base of your soup and will add additional flavor to all of the ingredients.
- Heavy Cream: This is optional but you can swirl this in the soup just before you serve it! It will look AND taste good!
How Do You Make Carrot Soup?
This carrot soup is super (pun intended!) easy and fast! Cook up those carrots, and after they are baked, this soup takes 15 minutes to whip up!
- Preheat: Preheat the oven to 375°F, and line a baking sheet pan with parchment.
- Toss Carrots: In a medium sized bowl, add the carrots and olive. Toss to coat the carrots, and pour onto the prepared baking sheet pan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake Carrots: Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the carrots are tender when pricked with a fork. Make sure that you toss the carrots 20 minutes into the roasting process to evenly cook them on all sides.
- Melt Butter and Add Onion and Seasonings: In a large pot, add butter and melt over medium high heat and then add the diced onion. Cook until tender for about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic, coriander and cumin. Cook and then stir for an additional minute.
- Add carrots and Stock: Add the cooked carrots and vegetable stock. Heat and bring to a simmer for 15 minutes.
- Blend: Carefully transfer the mixture to a blender, or use an immersion blender to blend the ingredients. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Season: Season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Add Cream: Drizzle with heavy cream and swirl in before serving! Garnish with chopped parsley and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
There are a few things that you can do to change up this carrot soup to fit your needs! Here are a few ideas that I have for you.
- Blender: You can definitely use an immersion blednder for this but I suggest using a stand blender to get extra creamy results! Just make sure to let the soup cool for a few minutes before putting it in the blender.
- Flip the Carrots: Don’t forget that 20 minutes into your carrots roasting, you need to flip them so that they can cook evenly!
- Add Toppings: If you want to take this soup to the next level then you can add in some toppings like swirled heavy cream, parsley, bacon and some extra freshly cracked pepper!
How to Store or Freeze Leftovers
This soup makes fantastic leftovers, so make enough to have some extra! You can even make this ahead and freeze it if you want!
- In the Refrigerator: Let your soup cool and place it in an airtight comtainer and put it in your fridge. It will store well for up to 3 days.
- To Freeze: Let the soup cool and DON’T add in any heavy cream. Put your soup in an airtight container or a ziplock bag and label it with the date. The soup without the cream will freeze for about 6 months. Put it in your fridge to thaw.
- To Reheat: Reheat your soup over the stove on medium heat until it’s warmed through.