The Best Breakfast Casserole is a thick and creamy egg base with shredded potatoes, chunks of ham and flavorful cheese blends that bakes up in no time. Make ahead or enjoy the morning of during the holidays!
Breakfast for the holidays is a favorite for us! If you love breakfast casseroles as much as I do try this Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole, Overnight Breakfast Casserole or Overnight Cinnamon Apple French Toast Casserole.
Amazing Breakfast Casserole
A delicious and hearty breakfast casserole that is the BEST that you will make! When I tell you that this is the BEST breakfast casserole it is no joke. I have made a few breakfast casseroles in my day and this one became an instant favorite! I especially love this casserole because it is so hearty and full of wonderful breakfast goodness.
It is a classic breakfast casserole with amazing flavor. It has hash browns packed right inside which is my favorite part. Simple ingredients for a simple egg base that is exploding with flavor. Your family will love this easy breakfast casserole this holiday season. It is perfect for baking ahead of time or making it the morning of. This breakfast casserole is sure to please your entire family this holiday season!
What you need to make a Breakfast Dish
This breakfast is perfect any time of the year but great for Christmas! Simple and easy recipe that bakes up perfectly and can feed a crowd. All the right ingredients that are simple and comes together quickly. It is packed and loaded with all the favors you will love. You take everything out the night before and throw it in the oven in the morning. It can feed a lot of people which is awesome. I have our traditional Sticky buns on the menu for Christmas along with this amazing casserole. When I made it last week for my hubby, we couldn’t seem to get enough of it! Luckily it makes a big casserole and is enough to feed a small army! Try it out for yourself! You will agree that it is amazing!
- Shredded potatoes: frozen and they do not need to be thawed.
- Salt and pepper: to taste
- Eggs: whisked together
- Half and half: adds creamy texture and thickness.
- Season salt: more flavoring
- Cheddar cheese: grated
- Pepper jack cheese: grated
- Ham: chopped to your liking. I prefer thicker pieces but go as little as you would like.
How to Make a Breakfast Casserole
This breakfast casserole is the BEST for so many reasons. One of which, is how simple this breakfast casserole recipe comes together quickly and is in the oven in minutes. There is not a lot of planning and prepping for this breakfast casserole recipe. It makes it simple and easy to throw together and place in the oven to bake. Make this ahead of time and when ready to bake simply take out of the refrigerator and bake. This tried and true breakfast casserole is so simple and everyone loves the blended flavoring. Try the BEST breakfast casserole with your family this holiday season!
- Prepare pan and add ingredients: Grease a 9×13 inch pan. Add the frozen and shredded potatoes to the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Whisk eggs: In a large bowl, whisk the eggs together.
- Add remaining ingredients: Then add half and half, season salt, cheddar cheese, pepper jack, and chopped ham.
- Pour into pan and refrigerate: Pour over the top of the frozen potatoes. Cover with foil and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Bake your breakfast casserole: Bake covered in foil at 350 degrees for 90 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
What to Serve with a Delicious Breakfast Casserole
Make this a complete meal by adding a little extra on the side. This breakfast casserole recipe has all the greatness inside it and can be a great breakfast all by itself. If you are looking for a more complete meal, add sides that will make this breakfast casserole recipe more complete. With these extra sides, this breakfast casserole will be one amazing meal all together. Here are some ideas of what can go along with this breakfast casserole recipe during the holiday season.
Mix It Up!
There are so many fun things to add into this casserole to make it even better and flavorful. Switch ingredients around or add in new ones that you prefer for your family. This breakfast recipe continues to get better and better. That is why it is the BEST! There are so many options with this breakfast casserole recipe that it makes it so fun to make often. Make this Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole by substituting the frozen hash browns for a layer of frozen tater tots. Adding and substituting ingredients makes this breakfast better every time you make it.
Try some of these fun variations in this breakfast casserole and find what you enjoy best!
- Vegetables: bell peppers, spinach or kale, tomato (fresh or canned), broccoli, mushrooms or onions are great add ins.
- Meat: bacon, variations of sausage, shredded chicken, ground beef or left over turkey.
- Cream: not a fan of half and half, you can use whipping cream for a thicker, richer breakfast or simply use milk that you have on hand.
- Cheese: Swiss cheese, Colby jack or mozzarella work well and melt perfectly when baked.
- Spicy: red pepper flakes, green chilies or green onions are fun way to add a little heat.
- Potatoes: rather than shredded potatoes, diced or flavorful frozen potatoes will work great.
Tips for Making the Perfect Breakfast Casserole
Here are some tips for making this breakfast casserole even better and easier on you. This recipe is fun to make different variations, make ahead or even the morning of. There are so many great things that make this casserole the BEST! These tips will help you better understand how to bake this breakfast for you to enjoy with your family.
- Covering or Not Cover: This is an option. I recommend not covering it so the topping can have that nice crisp edge. If you prefer to cook it covered be sure to uncover 10 to 15 minutes remaining, cook uncovered for that crisp crust on top.
- Keep your potatoes frozen: No, there is no need to thaw the potatoes. They will cook frozen.
- How to know when breakfast is done: once the outside edges become golden brown and the egg mixture in the middle is firm ( check by rocking the pan). Use a toothpick or knife to check if it is completely cooked through. You can also use a thermometer to check to see if the breakfast casserole has reached 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Drain grease: if you are using any other meat in the breakfast casserole, be sure to drain the meat prior to adding it in the dish.
- Gluten free: make this gluten free by keeping with this breakfast recipe. Check your labels on other ingredients to make sure.
Storing Breakfast Casserole
Make this ahead of time the night before or morning of, this breakfast casserole recipe is sure to please! It makes it perfect for storing for the busy Christmas morning breakfast or weekend breakfast that you want to sleep in and wake up to it baking. This is just another reason why this breakfast casserole recipe is the BEST or the BEST!
So many options and plans for this breakfast casserole to make your holiday mornings even easier and better.
- Making ahead: Simply follow the instructions until you are ready to bake. Cover with aluminum foil or lid and place in your refrigerator. When you are ready to bake, simply take it out of the refrigerator and bake it according to the instructions. This will sit in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Can you freeze a casserole? Yes, this is perfect for freezing. Make and bake your breakfast casserole. Once it has completely cooled down, place in an airtight container or ziplock bag. Lay flat in your freezer for up to 1 month. When ready to warm up, place on baking sheet frozen and bake until warmed through about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Warming up the casserole: To reheat breakfast casserole add it to the microwave or covered in the oven. Checking it occasionally until it has been warmed through.