When you think of the holidays, what’s the drink that pops into your mind? Eggnog of course! This flavorful drink is warm and absolutely delicious! Invite some friends over, cozy up by the fire, and get cookin!
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 to 1 1/2 cups bourbon, rum, cognac, or a mix (optional)
- Freshly grated nutmeg, for serving
- Mixing bowls
- Stand mixer or hand mixer
- Microplane or nutmeg grater
- Separate the eggs, placing the yolks in a medium bowl and the whites in a large bowl. Cover the whites and refrigerate until needed.
- Add the sugar to the yolks and whisk by hand or with a mixer until the mixture is smooth, creamy, and lightened to a lemon-yellow color.
- Whisk in the milk, cream, and liquor (if using).
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. The more liquor you add, the longer it will keep.
- Just before serving, whisk the egg whites in a stand mixer or with a hand mixer at high speed until the whites form stiff peaks.
- Transfer the beaten egg whites to the bowl with the eggnog and gently fold or stir the whites into the base — this gives the eggnog a frothy, extra-creamy texture. Some of the egg whites will also float to the top, like cappuccino foam.
- Transfer the eggnog to a pitcher or punch bowl. Serve in individual glasses with a grating of nutmeg over top.
WARNING: This recipe contains raw eggs. Use very fresh, organic eggs if at all possible. Be aware that consuming raw or undercooked eggs can increase your risk for certain food-borne illnesses, especially if you have a medical condition.
Don’t forget to play your favorite Christmas tunes while cooking up the best batch of Eggnog you’ll ever taste! And be sure to make a lot…your family and friends will be coming back for more!