Tzatziki Sauce is a Greek inspired, yogurt-based sauce you and your family will go crazy over. It is creamy and bursting with light and refreshing cucumber, dill, and garlic flavors that will make this a Mediterranean inspired favorite this summer!
Homemade dips and sauces that are loaded with fresh ingredients you love are a must in any great kitchen. So, also try my recipes for The Best Hummus I Have Ever Had and Basil Pesto.
Tzatziki Sauce Recipe
Tzatziki Sauce is an amazing Mediterranean recipe that is super versatile and delicious! It is pronounced “tsah-see-key.” Although it may be hard to say, it is not hard at all to make or to devour! It is a perfect creamy sauce that livens up a sandwich or veggie tray and adds a cool, fresh, and tangy zing to any grilled meat or fish.
When trying to eat healthy, adding an intense and inspired sauce like this Tzatziki sauce to the healthy fresh foods your body needs makes every meal so much more satisfying! Dip your raw veggies in this sauce for a perfect afternoon snack, or smother your grilled chicken in it. This sauce will take any healthy meal and liven it up to one you look forward to eating. It is a must memorize recipe, especially for those who are looking for clean and healthy eating options, so bookmark this page because you will be coming back to it many times!
What’s in Tzatziki Sauce?
Tzatziki sauce is made of perfectly balanced mild and bold flavors that compliment any dish. Made from a tangy Greek yogurt base, this creamy sauce has acidic vinegar and bitter oregano, but also has bright flavors from fresh cucumber and lemon juice. The garlic and dill add in earthy spice to round out the ingredients. Tzatziki sauce is one you will find yourself craving often!
- Greek yogurt: Use plain Greek yogurt to add creamy texture.
- Cucumber: Finely grated and dried.
- Garlic: 2-3 cloves minced is what I recommend, but it is a pretty strong amount, so start with a little less if you aren’t a garlic lover.
- White wine vinegar: This acidic ingredient is slightly more mild than other vinegar varieties.
- Dried dill weed: Mild fresh herb taste.
- Dried oregano leaves: Earthy, slightly bitter flavor.
- Salt and pepper: To taste.
- Lemon Juice: Squeeze on top of the mixed dip.
- Extra-virgin olive oil: Drizzle on top.
How to Make Tzatziki Sauce:
This dip comes together so quickly and easily. Once you have made it a couple of times, you will have it mostly memorized! It is a must make recipe that you will find yourself making more and more because it is so versatile and complements anything you pair it with.
- Combine ingredients: In a medium bowl combine greek yogurt, cucumber, garlic, white wine vinegar, dried dill week, dried oregano.
- Salt and pepper: Add salt and pepper to taste, squeeze lemon juice, and drizzle olive oil on top.
- Refrigerate: Chill for 30 minutes in the refrigerator to let the flavors blend.
Tips for the Best Sauce:
Preparing great homemade sauces is the secret to making family favorite meals again and again. Here are a few pro tips to make this one of the best sauces you have served.
- Properly drain the cucumber: To best remove excess moisture from the cucumber, shred it first, then squeeze out the water in a paper towel.
- Mint: Add a bit of mint for an even more fresh and dynamic flavor.
- Chill: Allow this dip to chill for at least 30 minutes before serving to enhance the blend of flavors.
What to Serve with Tzatziki Sauce:
This sauce is so delicious by itself and when added to any appetizer, snack or meal, it is even more perfect! These are some tried and true ways to serve this super easy sauce.
- Raw vegetables: Carrots, celery, broccoli, and grape tomatoes are fantastic, but really this sauce will brighten up any veggie you have.
- Pita or Naan Bread: If you are using Tzatziki as a dip try dunking pita bread in it for a chewy and satisfying snack.
- Grilled Meat: The cool, dill flavors really cool down a spicy meat or liven up a more mildly flavored meat. Either way it is the perfect balancing sauce to bring harmony to your meal. Try my Grilled Steak recipe for a great meal!
- Gyros or any sandwich or wrap: The creamy texture of this sauce is perfect to add moisture and tangy flavor to any sandwich or wrap.
How Long does Homemade Tzatziki Sauce Last?
Store your made from scratch favorite sauce in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. If tightly sealed and kept cool consistently, this amazing sauce will last for up to 4 days. You can also freeze it, but the texture may change a bit due to the yogurt base, making it less creamy.
More Made from Scratch Dip Recipes: