Banana Bread is an essential all- American comfort food that can brighten up your day, and warm your home and stomach. This dish can truly make all your worries go away, and satisfy all those sweet cravings. This recipe makes banana bread that is just as fluffy and moist as any other, under one condition, it’s healthy!
What makes this banana bread healthy?
This specific recipe is made with 100 percent whole wheat flour and does not contain the refined flour and processed sugar that the recipes include. It is also naturally sweetened with honey, maple syrup, or silan, which offer other kinds of nutrients. It also requires oil like olive, vegetable, or coconut, instead of unhealthy butter.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- ½ cup honey or maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 ½ medium or 2 large bananas)
- ¼ cup milk of choice or water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (NOT baking powder; they aren’t the same!)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more to swirl on top
- 1 ¾ cups white whole wheat flour or regular whole wheat flour
- Totally optional: ½ cup mix-ins like chopped walnuts or pecans, chocolate chips, raisins, chopped dried fruit, fresh banana slices…
How To Do It:
Begin by preheating the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a loaf pan around 9×5-inch. Then mix together in a large bowl, oil, honey, eggs, and mashed bananas with milk. Allow the mixture to rest in a warm place- preferably above your stove. Next, add in the baking soda, vanilla, salt, cinnamon and whisk together. If you want to add something in like chocolate chips then here is the time. Then pour the mixture into a greased pan and sprinkle with cinnamon. You can even add a swirled detail by running the tip of a knife across the batter. Bake the batter for around 55 to 60 minutes and check it using a toothpick into the center. If it comes out clean then it is cooked through. Make sure to let the bread cool for 10 minutes before moving it to be sliced.